Welcome!!one!

Buongiorno, bonjour and “g’day”! (don't you like how they're all the same thing? ~ who knew Australian vernacular was so cosmopolitan???).

Also, "a good day to you, sir/maam" for our American pals, "Ni Hao" to China, and "Здравствуй" to our Russian comrades, "etcetera etcetera and so forth"... (for Yul Brynner).

It’s your old pal Kit (Christof) Fennessy here. I've been writing this blog with your help for ten years, and there's over a hundred and fifty recipes, restaurant reviews of Australia and around the world, and general gourmet articles in these pages for you to fritter away your idle hours on.

Want to know more about me? Friend me on facebook, follow me on twitter, or even look up my New Yorker cartoons on instagram! NB; different platforms not all food related)


A big thank you, as always, to my sponsors at Blue Vapours (use them for all your design and advertising needs - we are waiting for your call!).

Now, what's on the bill of fare today?

Thursday, February 8, 2018

Sakura Kaiten Sushi

61 Little Collins St, Melbourne  VIC  3000


Yummmmmmm!!!!!!

And this time I mean it.

Located directly behind the Melbourne Club a la cita, this little sushi place is the real deal.  A sushi train, with little screens in front of you so you can order things that aren't already on the carousel – or to order drinx – which then get delivered by a robot on a seperate eye level track.  Pile your dishes, each colour indicating the price, and show off to all there your prodigious gourmet appetite.

Yesterday I was taken to this authentic eatery along with some Japanese visitors to our fair city, and it was simply exceptional.  I had my first sea urchin (very fishy/ocean tasting, like the red part of scallops... or licking the back end of a fish), we enjoyed raw squid, scallops, and the "belly" meat of a tuna, the most tender and prized part.  Washed down with Asahi, it was, in my old rating scale, eight tentacles out of eight.


A quite small venue that seats maybe thirty people, they open for lunch and dinner, but are shut on Sundays.  Get there early or late to get an easy seat, otherwise expect to queue.



0 comments: