Welcome!!one!

Buongiorno, bonjour and “g’day”! (don't you like how they're all the same thing? ~ who knew Australian vernacular was so cosmopolitan???).

Also, "a good day to you, sir/maam" for our American pals, "Ni Hao" to China, and "Здравствуй" to our Russian comrades, "etcetera etcetera and so forth"... (for Yul Brynner).

It’s your old pal Kit (Christof) Fennessy here. I've been writing this blog with your help for ten years, and there's over a hundred and fifty recipes, restaurant reviews of Australia and around the world, and general gourmet articles in these pages for you to fritter away your idle hours on.

Want to know more about me? Friend me on facebook, follow me on twitter, or even look up my New Yorker cartoons on instagram! NB; different platforms not all food related)


A big thank you, as always, to my sponsors at Blue Vapours (use them for all your design and advertising needs - we are waiting for your call!).

Now, what's on the bill of fare today?

Thursday, November 23, 2017

Kilderkin Gin Ballarat

https://kilderkindistillery.com.au/

Wine tastings, I've been to dozens.  But gin tastings?  Who knew?

I was impressed last night to attend a gin tasting featuring a small Ballarat distillery named Kilderkin who walked me through their various offerings.

Things I learned:




*  for gin to be gin, overseas anyway, it needs an alcohol content of 37.5% to qualify as "gin".

*  I was told a story about how in the navy sailors used to test the proofness of alcohol (since they were worried about people sneaking rum and putting water in to replace it), by pouring the booze on gunpowder and then seeing if it would light.  Is this true?  I thought something was overproof if it would just light?  No, Wikipedia confirms the rumour.

*  The Government takes $28 tax/impost per bottle of their gin (which retails for $75 at the entry level).

My tasting notes?

A Scoundrel: The first, their London Dry Gin had a citrus edge to it, like orange peel.

The Larrikin: Their Australian botanicals gin, that I was pleased to hear didn't have gum leaves in it.

The Buccaneer: their navy strength gin is "proof", 57% alcohol, and needs tasting with a mixer, because let's face it you could set yourself on fire otherwise.

Barrel Aged Gin: aged in oak casks, like a whiskey, this was slightly reminiscent of Grand Marnier, which makes sense since the 'Scoundrel' gin is used as the base.

So there you have it.  Pricey, sure, but if you'd like to support a nice family run business (the owners were at the tasting, a mother and daughter team), give Kilderkin a try!




0 comments: